December 14, 2011
The Roof Yields a Clue
The Stone Bank has been rather obtuse as we try to find its history. Available records are vague, pictures are rare and there is no cornerstone to tell us exactly when it was built. (Sometime before 1900.)
But our general contractor Fred Kainz found a clue in the rafters as he was dismantling a section of the roof.
It involves a flap of roofing tar paper and a row of 2×4’s at almost exactly the spot where the back of the building has begun to sink.
This is also where the nice stone foundation ends and the dugout part of the basement begins. Hmmm. This must be where an extension of the building was tacked on. Or stoned on.
Here’s a video of Fred describing the change in the roof.